Most of people takes the Lao New Year as an opportunity to leave town, even the Country, for some short holidays. Us ? We decided to go to Luang Prabang, and we headed there by car. A long way, but it was definitely worthy.
We left at 6.30AM and took what they call the “new road” (Road 13 until Kasi, then take Xayabouli). Even though I like driving, it was a bit long, but on the way, we stopped to get some corn and a typical Lao breakfast (Grilled chicken, sticky rice and papaya salad) in Vang Vieng. If you feed me, I follow you anywhere (just saying).
Note to myself: Purchase a Lao Telecom SIM card for my next trip ! Once you pass Vang Vieng, you won’t have any network with Beeline ! AT ALL.
Yea, true: it is good time to time to disconnect. So we did: windows open, music turned on and here we went, surrounded by mountains and (time to time) villages. Most of the time, we were by our own, no car, no truck, neither bus. Just us. How good it feels !
2PM. We are now in LPB, in a charming guesthouse, with a view on the Nam Khan and the famous Old Bridge. We could heard the loud music and the sound water splashed outside, a bit away from us, but still, somehow, we managed to fall asleep ! Walking through this alley made me realize that Pimay is not “just” about water splash and huge speakers in the pick up. It is also the time when shops are closed down and time for big family and friends gathering with tons of food.
Before returning to the center, a couple of friends invited us to a sheep barbecue restaurant, nearby the Stadium (the open one). A premiere for me in Laos, nice taste but the meat was a bit chewy.
Still hungry, and because a trip to Luang Prabang doesn’t make sense without it, we went for a Khao Soi. I LOVE IT (We had it 3 times in 3 days) ! After that, we had a walk into the famous Night market, that, don’t ask my why, I can’t get tired of.
And you, have you already been in Luang Prabang ?
What are your favourite addresses ?
Our Trip in Luang Prabang – Tips & Crushes:
- The Road: If you decide to go by the road, make sure you check your car before the departure; if you want to use the new road, check the weather forecast, it can be slippery and muddy after the rain – we have a 4×4 pick up.
- Food: Both restaurants (BBQ and Soup) are pretty famous and products are fresh.
– Sheep bbq: on the way to VTE, a small hom right after the junction
– Khao Soi: from the Dara market, turn right at the roundabout, the first shop on your right
- Accomodation: We stayed at Cold River Guesthouse, the owners are lovely and the room is cleaned, rates are correct (30USD) with breakfast included